Does it Matter Where You Sit on a Roller Coaster?

Before you step onto the loading platform of your favorite roller coaster, do you request a specific row? Or are you just happy to ride the attraction? While I often request a certain row when I ride roller coasters, I have come to the realization that most of my friends couldn't care less where we sit. They are usually just glad to be there. Many guests believe that all seats on coasters are created equal. I believe, however, that sitting in different parts of a roller coaster train will yield dramatically different experiences. Here is my guide for choosing the best places to ride a roller coaster as well as my seat pick for each coaster at WDW.

The Front:

It goes without saying that the best views on a roller coaster can be experienced in the first row. You will have an unobstructed view of the park and the special effects utilized throughout the attraction. With no one in front of you, a sense of anticipation builds throughout the ride, particularly on coasters with a slow lift hill. Sitting in the front can also give you the feeling of total isolation -- it's as if you are the only one on the attraction.

As the train travels down hill, you will feel the train accelerate quickly, which will provide you with a more forceful pass through the bottom of a drop. This feeling is followed by a significant "push" up the next hill. This sensation also occurs with inversions, with the feeling of acceleration occurring at the beginning of the inversion, which will make you feel as if you as if you are being thrown into the element.

The Back:

Guests who sit in last row of a train will often claim that they experience a "faster" ride. This sensation is most common when the train clears the crest of the hill. While the front is already beginning to travel down hill and accelerate, you are still traveling up. This will create more significant air time (negative g-forces). When it comes to inversions, guests sitting in the back will usually feel the train decelerate at the beginning of the element and a quick acceleration throughout the second half. It almost feels as if you are being whipped around the track.

Let me clarify that everyone travels the same speed on a roller coaster. Saying that the roller coaster feels faster in the back is just that...a feeling. . What you are actually experiencing is the moments of acceleration at different points in the track.

The Middle:

The middle will give you all of the sensations you feel in the front and the back of the train but with less intensity. While many guests vocalize their preference for sitting in the front or the back, the middle seats can be great for those who are nervous about riding a roller coaster. Having people in front and behind you will allow you to feel less secluded, and the middle often provides you with an overall smoother ride. For coaster enthusiasts, I recommend avoiding the middle because it will not provide the most intense experiences.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster:

I don't think you can go wrong with the first or last row on this attraction. While most guests request the first row, I prefer the last. With an indoor roller coaster in the dark, you don't really have incredible views to admire. In fact, I recommend sitting in the back on this one because your view of the tunnel launch is obstructed. I like this because the inability to see what's ahead further heightens the level of uncertainty, which increases the thrill factor for me. Sitting in the back also allows you to experience the initial two inversions with more intensity.

My Pick: last row


Expedition Everest:

Again, I think the first and last rows are the best seats on this attraction. The first row will give you incredible views, especially when coming to a sudden halt in front of the broken track at the top of the mountain. The downside to the front is the lack of acceleration the train has entering the big drop out of the cave. You will, however, feel stronger g-forces during the large helix right before you reenter the mountain and encounter the yeti. Sitting in the last row, on the other hand, will make the big drop feel faster and more intense, and you will experience more air time when you lift back up and dive back into the mountain. I also find that because of the track's layout, the backwards portion feels more intense while sitting in the back.

My Pick: last row

Photo Credit: Magic Guides

Space Mountain:

Because the train is so short (only 6 seats), you will not feel much of a difference between the front and the back when it comes to g-forces and negative g-forces. Personally, I avoid sitting in seats 1 and 4 only because the design of the seats don't give me as much legroom. The other seats allow me to stretch my legs out along the sides of the seat in front of me, which is more comfortable in my opinion. If you have back problems, I recommend avoiding the last seat altogether. I don't recommend requesting a seat on this ride, but if you have a party of 4-6 guests you will be able to negotiate who will sit where on your own.

My Pick: 5th seat

Photo Credit: Magic Guides

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad:

If you have small children and this is their first time riding, I highly recommend the first row for an obstructed view (let's be honest, that engine is gigantic) and a more gentle ride altogether. This is a particularly helpful tip when riding older coasters that lost some of its smoothness. If you are an adult, always request the last row. You will experience a more wild ride. My favorite feeling I experience on this attraction is the lurch out of those random spots that dip down and back up quickly.

My Pick: last row


Slinky Dog Dash:

Avoid the first two rows, even with small children or first-time riders who might be nervous. This roller coaster is smooth and gentle enough for anyone to enjoy this ride in any seat. Slinky Dog's head at the front of the train is so dang large, which gives you a completely obstructed view of the track. You will also miss some really cool views of Toy Story Land because of this. The last row will experience the most intense ride, and a decent amount of air time over the small bunny hills near the end of the coaster.

My Pick: anything but the first two rows

Photo Credit: Magic Guides

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train:

The very first time I rode this attraction, we were assigned row one. I was excited to get first row, mostly because the views were spectacular. This comes at a cost however, there is zero intensity in the front. While you feel some moments of sudden acceleration, I would only sit in the first row again if I were riding this coaster during the fireworks (which is difficult to time). If you are an adult looking for any semblance of intensity, request to sit in the last row, especially if you waited 3 hours to ride. You will be glad you did.

My Pick: last row

Photo Credit: Magic Guides

Final Thoughts:

Obviously I am in favor of sitting in the last row, or at least near the back of the train, the majority of the time. This is simply personal preference. I value air time and the feeling of acceleration at the crests of the hill over the more intense g-forces I get at the bottom of the hill when sitting in the front. Others will be adamant that the front of train is better. My advice is to find what brings you the most enjoyment.

So here is the big question...Does it really matter where you sit?

Personally, I think so. If I can experience a ride that feels more intense to me, I will request the row to elevate the thrill level. This is especially true if I plan on riding that attraction only once during my entire stay at WDW. If I plan on riding the attraction multiple times, I have no problems sitting in whatever row the cast member at the loading platform assigns me.

If you are a first-timer on these attractions, my recommendation is to try any and every seat. Maybe you will find that you really enjoy the middle. Maybe you will discover that you only like sitting in the front or the back on a specific attraction or a roller coaster with specific features.

Finally, if you request a specific row to a cast member, ALWAYS be polite a courteous. If they cannot accommodate you, just sit where they ask you to. Cast members usually honor these requests, especially if you are a kind and considerate guest, however there is no guarantee. No matter where you sit, I know you will enjoy riding a WDW roller coaster. Thoughtful storytelling, mind blowing effects, and unique track layouts make them one-of-a-kind experiences.


Happy riding!

Comments